Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
Drive a tractor-trailer combination or a truck with a capacity of at least 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW). May be required to unload truck. Requires commercial drivers’ license.
Entry Level: $15.86/hr
Growth for Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
|2019 Jobs||2030 Jobs||Change (2019-2030)||% Change (2019-2030)
Industries Employing Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
|Industry||Occupation Jobs in Industry (2019)||% of Occupation in Industry (2019)||% of Total Jobs in Industry (2019)
|General Freight Trucking, Long-Distance, Truckload ||934||20%||59.6%
|General Freight Trucking, Long-Distance, Less Than Truckload ||826||17.7%||54.1%
|General Freight Trucking, Local ||566||12.2%||56.9%
|Glass Product Manufacturing Made of Purchased Glass||283||6.1%||13%
|Specialized Freight (except Used Goods) Trucking, Long-Distance ||201||4.3%||54.5%
- Check vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Follow appropriate safety procedures for transporting dangerous goods.
- Inspect loads to ensure that cargo is secure.
- Maintain logs of working hours or of vehicle service or repair status, following applicable state and federal regulations.
- Secure cargo for transport, using ropes, blocks, chain, binders, or covers.