Perform administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of a physician. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding information for insurance purposes. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by physician.
Entry Level: $14.11/hr
Growth for Medical Assistants
|2019 Jobs||2030 Jobs||Change (2019-2030)||% Change (2019-2030)
Industries Employing Medical Assistants
|Industry||Occupation Jobs in Industry (2019)||% of Occupation in Industry (2019)||% of Total Jobs in Industry (2019)
|Offices of Physicians (except Mental Health Specialists)||1,216||63%||12.5%
|General Medical and Surgical Hospitals||227||11.8%||1.2%
|Offices of Chiropractors||58||3%||16.7%
|Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools ||56||2.9%||0.6%
|Freestanding Ambulatory Surgical and Emergency Centers||42||2.2%||6%
- Record patients’ medical history, vital statistics, or information such as test results in medical records.
- Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Interview patients to obtain medical information and measure their vital signs, weight, and height.
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician.