Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
Drive a tractor-trailer combination or a truck with a capacity of at least 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW). May be required to unload truck. Requires commercial drivers’ license.
Entry Level: $15.87/hr
Growth for Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
|2018 Jobs||2029 Jobs||Change (2018-2029)||% Change (2018-2029)
Industries Employing Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
|Industry||Occupation Jobs in Industry (2018)||% of Occupation in Industry (2018)||% of Total Jobs in Industry (2018)
|General Freight Trucking, Long-Distance, Truckload ||897||19.6%||60.4%
|General Freight Trucking, Long-Distance, Less Than Truckload ||808||17.7%||54.9%
|General Freight Trucking, Local ||585||12.8%||57.3%
|Glass Product Manufacturing Made of Purchased Glass||279||6.1%||14%
|Specialized Freight (except Used Goods) Trucking, Long-Distance ||206||4.5%||54.1%
- Check vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Follow appropriate safety procedures for transporting dangerous goods.
- Inspect loads to ensure that cargo is secure.
- Maintain logs of working hours or of vehicle service or repair status, following applicable state and federal regulations.
- Secure cargo for transport, using ropes, blocks, chain, binders, or covers.