Bill and Account Collectors
Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer’s account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; and keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
Entry Level: $14.06/hr
Growth for Bill and Account Collectors
|2017 Jobs||2028 Jobs||Change (2018-2028)||% Change (2018-2028)
Industries Employing Bill and Account Collectors
|Industry||Occupation Jobs in Industry (2017)||% of Occupation in Industry (2017)||% of Total Jobs in Industry (2017)
|Credit Card Issuing||74||14.8%||5%
|Offices of Physicians (except Mental Health Specialists)||31||6.3%||0.3%
|Real Estate Credit||30||6%||1.9%
|Corporate, Subsidiary, and Regional Managing Offices ||27||5.5%||0.5%
- Arrange for debt repayment or establish repayment schedules, based on customers’ financial situations.
- Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visits to solicit payment.
- Advise customers of necessary actions and strategies for debt repayment.
- Persuade customers to pay amounts due on credit accounts, damage claims, or nonpayable checks, or to return merchandise.
- Confer with customers by telephone or in person to determine reasons for overdue payments and to review the terms of sales, service, or credit contracts.