Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
Fabricate, position, align, and fit parts of structural metal products.
Entry Level: $14.47/hr
Growth for Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
|2017 Jobs||2028 Jobs||Change (2018-2025)||% Change (2018-2028)
Industries Employing Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
|Industry||Occupation Jobs in Industry (2017)||% of Occupation in Industry (2017)||% of Total Jobs in Industry (2017)
|Metal Window and Door Manufacturing||43||28.2%||4.1%
|Sheet Metal Work Manufacturing||<10||5.6%||4.3%
|Plate Work Manufacturing||<10||5.5%||3.9%
|Fabricated Structural Metal Manufacturing||<10||3.6%||4.3%
- Verify conformance of workpieces to specifications, using squares, rulers, and measuring tapes.
- Align and fit parts according to specifications, using jacks, turnbuckles, wedges, drift pins, pry bars, and hammers.
- Move parts into position, manually or with hoists or cranes.
- Position, align, fit, and weld parts to form complete units or subunits, following blueprints and layout specifications, and using jigs, welding torches, and hand tools.
- Study engineering drawings and blueprints to determine materials requirements and task sequences.